Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Chapter 10

Kyle Kielty
Mike Reimann

We are in an abandoned village that is being shelled heavily.  We are all here Kat, Albert, Tjaden, and Detering.  Haie is dead.  We are trying to keep things as light as possible and make the most of every opportunity.  We have a concrete cellar with mattresses.  We are doing ok.  We patrol the houses and get items we need and small amounts of food.  We send a couple of our guys out to hunt for fresh vegetables as we don’t much enjoy the canned ones. I’m making pancakes in the middle of getting barraged by artillery shells, because they could see the smoke from the chimney of the building I am cooking in.  I must finish the pancakes as they are my favorite.  We found pigs and ate them with a feast of food gathered.  We are all having upset stomachs and having to frequently expel our pig dinner as it was super fatty and that will move the bowels.  We are enjoying this as much as we can, we all treat each other like they are our butlers and we can boss them around and tell them to bring us good food.  Kat is happy, and Tjaden is now down to half a cigar!  We received our orders to go back.  We have large amounts of supplies and cigarettes and everyone is really enjoying them selves as much as they possibly can in such a situation.  A few days later we receive orders to evacuate a village.  There are still many local people in this village and the French begin to rain shells down upon us and there people alike.  They hit albert in the leg, it narrowly missed me.  Albert and I are running and getting chased by artillery as they are zoning in on our position.  Albert starts slowing down and I grab him and drag him into a dug out.  His leg is fully useless by now and we grab an ambulance wagon as it passes our hide out.  Albert says he won’t go through life as a cripple and will off himself if they have to take his leg.  I also have a few wounds and we finally get to the surgeon.  He fishes the pieces out of my body and Albert’s and we are on our way. There is a Sergeant Major looking out for us as we wait for the train.  I bribe him with cigars and he makes sure we all get put into the same car.  There are sisters in the box car that make us fresh beds and we are meant to sleep while we travel on the rails.  The train is moving slowly and stops to drop the dead off.  We are stopping a lot.  The nurses are checking on everyone and checking temperatures.  She checks mine and when she turns around I stick it in my armpit, knowing that if I have a fever they will send me wherever Albert goes for treatment of his leg.  We finally get to a catholic hospital and the people on the train filled the place. We give the sisters a great deal of grief while we are here. All who are taken to the Dying Room have never returned, except for Peter, and while he was there many wounded soldiers came and went. Albert’s day finally came and they amputated his leg at the thigh and he once again talks about offing himself. Slowly, a few of are allowed to get up, but I can’t bear the stares from Albert, so I leave the room and explore the different wings of the hospital where I see many terrible cases which causes me to realize my life is nothing but death and gloom. I wonder what people will expect of me if this war ever ends. Now that I’ve healed enough I can start physical therapy and Albert’s healing well but seems more solemn than before. I am put on leave to finish healing but as I get recalled to go back to the front lines my mother doesn’t want me to leave. I will miss my best friend Albert.

No comments:

Post a Comment